Tuesday, April 27, 2010
There was a time when you could buy the newest comics just about anywhere. When I was younger, I can remember making most of my comic purchases at either the local drug store, or off the spinner rack at the grocery store. I can't really remember there even being such a place as a store that specialized in comics until I was a bit older. For back issues, there were a few used bookstores that had comics tossed (literally) into milk crates in the back of the store (for 10¢ each). If comics hadn't been so easily accessible, I probably would never have developed my life-long hobby.
Sadly, those days are over. On a recent trip to the grocery store, I noticed that the selection of mass marketed comics was very slim. Besides the ARCHIE digests at the checkout line, the sparse selection in the magazine section had less than ten titles, and all of them TV or movie related.
We have yet another casualty here. Nickelodeon has pulled the plug on their comics department, so the chances of more kids becoming comics fans are getting slimmer and slimmer. I just hope somebody steps in to fill the void now, because Archie Andrews can't attract all of the younger fans all by himself.
from NICKMAG PRESENTS, April 2005
Ending with a dirty diaper joke really helps sell this one to the younger crowd. At least, when I was a kid anything involving boogers, doo-doo, or pee-pee was pure comedy gold.
Check out this other Spongebob comic over here.
- ► 2011 (110)
- The Hunter And His Dog
- KRONOS by Lee Elias
- The Super Sister
- SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS
- PATSY WALKER (and her friend, Nancy too)
- Sunday Funnies: HOWARD THE DUCK
- The Adventures of Toucan Sam
- The Golden Age Deadpool
- DYNAMIC DUO FIGHTS TERRIBLE TRIO
- YOUR FAVORITE GREEN LAWYER
- HOT STUFF, THE LITTLE DEVIL: Déjà Vu
- HOT STUFF, THE LITTLE DEVIL: Master Thief
- Sunday Funnies: BLONDIE
- A Look At The Other Comics Section
- PRIMATE PATROL
- Too Much Monkey Business....
- SUPERBOY: The Super Monkey From Krypton
- THE GREAT GRAPE APE
- KRYPTO BATTLES TITANO!
- Sunday Funnies: ANDY CAPP
- The Phantom vs The Giant Ape Of Tawth
- The Secrets Of SpiderMan
- HEY, HEY, HEY....
- BATMAN: Case Of No Consequence
- KYM: Lost In A Dream
- Judy And The Magic Chalk
- Moses, Elijah, and Jesus
- Whatever Happened To Superman?
- APRIL FOOL
- ▼ April (30)