Saturday, April 3, 2010
Moses, Elijah, and Jesus
Today's comic takes a cold, hard look at religion (specifically, the connections between the ancient 'mystery schools' and the more easily accessible Christianity).
In this excerpt from the Gospel According to "Mark", we see Jesus communing with the spirits of both Moses and Elijah, two of the most larger-than-life prophets of the Old Testament.
The spiritual implication here is very clear; it's the old guard passing the torch unto the new. Jesus is implied in these verses to provide the connections between the ancient secrets and the new age enlightenment.
This was part of a continuing series done by this cartoonist, and I feel that he did a fairly good job of adapting this Gospel into the sequential art medium. His one blatant failure is that Jesus looks like Greg Allman.
By Chester Brown.
from YUMMY FUR #10, May 1988
- ► 2011 (110)
- The Hunter And His Dog
- KRONOS by Lee Elias
- The Super Sister
- SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS
- PATSY WALKER (and her friend, Nancy too)
- Sunday Funnies: HOWARD THE DUCK
- The Adventures of Toucan Sam
- The Golden Age Deadpool
- DYNAMIC DUO FIGHTS TERRIBLE TRIO
- YOUR FAVORITE GREEN LAWYER
- HOT STUFF, THE LITTLE DEVIL: Déjà Vu
- HOT STUFF, THE LITTLE DEVIL: Master Thief
- Sunday Funnies: BLONDIE
- A Look At The Other Comics Section
- PRIMATE PATROL
- Too Much Monkey Business....
- SUPERBOY: The Super Monkey From Krypton
- THE GREAT GRAPE APE
- KRYPTO BATTLES TITANO!
- Sunday Funnies: ANDY CAPP
- The Phantom vs The Giant Ape Of Tawth
- The Secrets Of SpiderMan
- HEY, HEY, HEY....
- BATMAN: Case Of No Consequence
- KYM: Lost In A Dream
- Judy And The Magic Chalk
- Moses, Elijah, and Jesus
- Whatever Happened To Superman?
- APRIL FOOL
- ▼ April (30)