As they say, "The road to hell is paved with good intentions". Our friend Superman learns that lesson the hard way in this story.
By Jerry Siegel and Al Plastino.
from SUPERMAN #146, July 1961
So Atlantis survives and the people never evolve into mermaids. Their advanced culture and technology surpasses the Egyptians and Romans, making them the first world power. At least you think that's what happened....
Well, I guess the Romans must've conquered Atlantis at some point. Either that or history must have a way of smoothing things out. Think about this, though: without the blood of the martyrs, Christianity never becomes more than a small cult religion. Oh, that Superman!
So the Revolutionary War ended a few years earlier. Not that big of a change, and certainly not as bad as the way he destroyed Christianity previously. What's next?
Ouch! For those of you who think life on the southwestern reservations are bad in our timeline, just imagine how horrible they must be in this one. Thanks, Superman!
Abraham Lincoln would go on to serve as president for three more terms, eventually becoming the most hated man in history.
Now that just takes the cake! A full scale alien invasion, accompanied by rioting in the streets, and a decades-long Earth-Krypton war. Thanks, Superman!
"What..?!! Everything's quivering!" Yeah, that would be the rumblings of the war going on out there, Superman. Also, the very fabric of time itself slowly being torn apart.
And we all lived happily ever after....in this universe anyway.
Seriously though, I had a lot of fun with this story by poking fun at it, but the real reason I wanted you all to see it was because this story uses the concept of a 'multiverse' several months earlier than FLASH #123, and years before Marvel began using their own multiverse to great effect.
You learn something new every day, don't ya?
This story is also available in the oversized coloring book:
Showcase Presents: Superman, Volume 3
- ► 2011 (110)
- Thomas Ott: CLEAN UP!
- The Great Rodeo Robbery
- PETER BAGGE'S SPIDERMAN AND LINK POST
- Sunday Funnies: STEVE CANYON
- DEADPOOL: Dead Man Talking
- The Incredible Team of Bat-Mite and Mr. Mxyzptlk
- Lulu's Back In Town
- IT'S CAPTAIN ACTION!
- Two Tales Of Teenage Toonage
- BETTY BY NIGHT (CLARA DE NOCHE)
- Sunday Funnies: DONALD DUCK
- FIN FANG FOOM
- The Lonesome Death Of Jordy Verrill
- HAPPY ST. PATRICK'S DAY
- Deadpool: The Continuing Story of a Quack Who's Go...
- Homer The Happy Ghost
- Sunday Funnies: HI AND LOIS
- The Olde Curiosity Shoppe
- FATMAN, THE HUMAN FLYING SAUCER
- The Astounding Adventures of Charlie Peace
- The National Lampoon
- CINDY: The Other Teenaged Redhead
- COMIX IN UNEXPECTED PLACES
- Sunday Funnies: POPEYE
- SUPERMAN IS NOT ALWAYS SO SUPER
- Lady Deadpool
- The Two Faces of Superman
- SUPERMAN 150
- DARA OF THE VIKINGS
- TEEN HULK!!
- ▼ March (30)