BREAKING INTO COMICS THE MARVEL WAY is two issues of short stories featuring works by a full dozen new artists, all of them new to the Marvel ranks. While I did feel that this was a great idea, the sad thing I realized was that in a few of the stories the excellent art entirely surpassed the substandard writing efforts from their 'veteran writers'. It just begs the questions: Did they not feel that the fresh talent was worth writing a good story for? or Were they just 'phoning it in' because their careers aren't in as much jeopardy as the artists' are?
Regardless of what else was going on with the other writers and artists collaborations, this particular short episode seemed like a perfect match. The art style seems to mesh well with both the character of our favorite mercenary, as well as with what's going on in the story.
By Frank Tieri and Matteo Scalera.
from BREAKING INTO COMICS THE MARVEL WAY #2, May 2010
- ► 2011 (110)
- Thomas Ott: CLEAN UP!
- The Great Rodeo Robbery
- PETER BAGGE'S SPIDERMAN AND LINK POST
- Sunday Funnies: STEVE CANYON
- DEADPOOL: Dead Man Talking
- The Incredible Team of Bat-Mite and Mr. Mxyzptlk
- Lulu's Back In Town
- IT'S CAPTAIN ACTION!
- Two Tales Of Teenage Toonage
- BETTY BY NIGHT (CLARA DE NOCHE)
- Sunday Funnies: DONALD DUCK
- FIN FANG FOOM
- The Lonesome Death Of Jordy Verrill
- HAPPY ST. PATRICK'S DAY
- Deadpool: The Continuing Story of a Quack Who's Go...
- Homer The Happy Ghost
- Sunday Funnies: HI AND LOIS
- The Olde Curiosity Shoppe
- FATMAN, THE HUMAN FLYING SAUCER
- The Astounding Adventures of Charlie Peace
- The National Lampoon
- CINDY: The Other Teenaged Redhead
- COMIX IN UNEXPECTED PLACES
- Sunday Funnies: POPEYE
- SUPERMAN IS NOT ALWAYS SO SUPER
- Lady Deadpool
- The Two Faces of Superman
- SUPERMAN 150
- DARA OF THE VIKINGS
- TEEN HULK!!
- ▼ March (30)