Sunday, March 28, 2010
Sunday Funnies: STEVE CANYON
Steve Canyon ran from January 13, 1947 until June 4, 1988, making it one of the longest running classic adventure strips of the twentieth century. As of 2006, it's finally getting the deluxe treatment; Checker Books is publishing the entire run of the strip in one year increments.
It's fairly easy to recognize that these two short stories are comprised of re-purposed daily strips (which happened often during the 40s/50s when publishers wanted a comic magazine of a popular strip, but were too cheap to commission original stories), but they're edited fairly well, and provide a decent introduction to the characters. On the downside, twelve pages is nowhere near representative of the longer, complex narratives that the strip was famous for.
By Milton Caniff.
from COMICS HITS #52, November 1951
Read through the Steve Canyon archives at RIPHAYWIRE.COM
- ► 2011 (110)
- Thomas Ott: CLEAN UP!
- The Great Rodeo Robbery
- PETER BAGGE'S SPIDERMAN AND LINK POST
- Sunday Funnies: STEVE CANYON
- DEADPOOL: Dead Man Talking
- The Incredible Team of Bat-Mite and Mr. Mxyzptlk
- Lulu's Back In Town
- IT'S CAPTAIN ACTION!
- Two Tales Of Teenage Toonage
- BETTY BY NIGHT (CLARA DE NOCHE)
- Sunday Funnies: DONALD DUCK
- FIN FANG FOOM
- The Lonesome Death Of Jordy Verrill
- HAPPY ST. PATRICK'S DAY
- Deadpool: The Continuing Story of a Quack Who's Go...
- Homer The Happy Ghost
- Sunday Funnies: HI AND LOIS
- The Olde Curiosity Shoppe
- FATMAN, THE HUMAN FLYING SAUCER
- The Astounding Adventures of Charlie Peace
- The National Lampoon
- CINDY: The Other Teenaged Redhead
- COMIX IN UNEXPECTED PLACES
- Sunday Funnies: POPEYE
- SUPERMAN IS NOT ALWAYS SO SUPER
- Lady Deadpool
- The Two Faces of Superman
- SUPERMAN 150
- DARA OF THE VIKINGS
- TEEN HULK!!
- ▼ March (30)