Tuesday, December 13, 2011
We Love Lucy
Lucille Ball was, in her time, the undisputed queen of comedy. There's not a single episode of the original series that doesn't stand the test of time. I've seen some episodes upwards of a hundred times and they still make me laugh. Other shows have come and gone, but there will always be a place on the airwaves for Lucy, Ricky, Fred, and Ethel.
As was common during the '50s and '60s, popular TV shows were adapted into comics. Andy Griffith, Leave It To Beaver, The Rifleman, The Beverly Hillbillies,etc. etc. all had their own comics. The majority of these franchises were handled by Dell, as was this one.
Long out of print but still cheaper than purchasing any of the back issues, this particular volume collects 15 of the classic stories. It would have been nice to see them in all their four colored glory, but I reckon that would've made the book a little more expensive and harder to sell. And one thing Malibu Graphics didn't want was to be stuck with a truckload of unsold copies.
Still, if you come across this in your travels and you're a fan of either the show or just old Dell comics, it's worth adding to your collection.
from I LOVE LUCY: A COMIC RETROSPECTIVE (ISBN: 0-944735-52-5) 1990
originally from I LOVE LUCY #11, July 1956
- A Rich New Year's Eve
- HOT STUFF: BABYSITTER EXTRAORDINAIRE
- Hedy Wolfe Is Not So Bad....
- HEMBECK DOES HAWKMAN
- SUPERMAN AND MUTANT BOY
- Sunday Funnies: DENNIS THE MENACE
- Merry Marvel Christmas: DEADPOOL
- Merry Marvel Christmas: THANOS
- Merry Marvel Christmas: GHOST RIDER
- Merry Marvel Christmas: THE MARVEL FAMILY
- Merry Marvel Christmas: FANTASTIC FOUR
- Merry Marvel Christmas: SANTA CLAUS and SPIDER-MAN...
- Sunday Funnies: HEATHCLIFF
- LINKS! (and a short comic)
- An Unlikely Comic Character: Jeffrey Dahmer
- Oldest Archie Comic Ever
- Alex Toth Draws Animals
- We Love Lucy
- DOURDEVIL, The Man Without A Sense Of Humor
- Sunday Funnies: ANDY CAPP
- DR. WHO: K-9's Finest Hour
- THE BEANO
- Child Abuse Is Good Comedy
- Young Marvelman
- Exorcist Judges From The Future
- Sunday Funnies: THE FUNDAY TIMES
- Buddy Bradley Gets Slandered
- The Third Spy
- Hombre Arana vs. Dr. Infierno
- ▼ December (31)
- ► 2010 (156)